Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Pancakes



I thought I'd start off this blog with some of my favourite recipes.
I decided to have my own pancake week a while ago where I made pancakes everyday for 7 days!
These were definitely my favourite.

The pancakes are chocolate with chocolate chips, and then they are topped with a scoop of coconut ice-cream, covered with chocolate coconut sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut. Sounds good right? It is.

You can use whatever ice-cream you want really, but I think ice-cream made from coconut milk is the best. In Australia there’s this new brand called CocoLuscious, it’s made from coconut milk and it’s dairy, soy, egg, nut and gluten free! It tastes amazing and has a really good texture!

I always wake up wanting something sweet so I could easily eat these for breakfast, but they would also be a great dessert!

Recipe  (makes about 8-10 fat pancakes)
1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt or wheat flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbls oil
1/3 cup water (plus more if you need to thin it out)
1 1/4 cups soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbls maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (optional)

Chocolate sauce
120g vegan chocolate (I use Whittakers 50% dark chocolate)
¾ cup coconut milk
¼ rice or soy milk
2 tbls maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla

Coconut ice-cream and toasted coconut to serve

Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl.
In another bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk until frothy. 
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined. Add more water if the batter is too thick, but you don’t want it to be too thin.
Fold in the chocolate.
Let the batter rest for 10 minutes before cooking.

To make the chocolate sauce, melt the chocolate with the coconut milk and rice milk in a small saucepan over a low heat. When it’s melted whisk in the maple syrup and vanilla.

To toast the coconut spread it out on a tray and put in a 160˚C oven for 4-5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. wow these look like my dream pancakes as a kid. I definitely have to try these !!

    ReplyDelete